Partner, Sidley Austin
Former Partner, Real Estate Department Paul Hastings in Beijing
Joel H. Rothstein is a partner in Paul Hastings and Chair of the firm’s Beijing office. His practice focuses on real estate and structured finance. Mr. Rothstein is the firm’s longest serving real estate attorney in Asia where he has played a leadership role in the launch and expansion of the firm’s market leading Asia real estate practice.
With over fifteen years' experience serving clients in the region, Mr. Rothstein's practice is Asia-wide. He routinely advises and assists international and domestic investment banks, financial institutions, private equity funds, and real estate developers and investors in China, Japan and other Asian markets in the following areas:
- real estate and other asset-based financing;
- asset securitization and secondary market trading of loan assets;
- real estate capital market transactions, including REITS;
- NPL and hard asset portfolio acquisitions and dispositions;
- distressed asset and company restructuring and workouts;
- real estate venture formation;
- private equity fund vehicle formation and management;
- property acquisitions and dispositions;
- construction and development; and
- hotel and resort finance, development and management.
Mr. Rothstein has received numerous accolades, including:
- Chambers, ranked as leading practitioner for China in both real estate and banking & finance categories
- Asia Pacific Legal 500, ranked as a leading practitioner for China in real estate category
- China Law & Practice, cited for 2011 China Real Estate and Construction Deal of the Year
Mr. Rothstein is an active participant in the Urban Land Institute, where he formerly served on the board of the Japan council of the organization. He is also active in the Asia Pacific Real Estate Association.
In addition to being a lawyer, Mr. Rothstein is also an urban designer and a graduate of Columbia University's Graduate School of Architecture. He has previously worked on a number of architecture and urban design projects in diverse locations ranging from Cartegena, Colombia, South America, New York City and Los Angeles.
Mr. Rothstein is a frequent lecturer and author on real estate finance and Asia real estate investment. He has been a guest lecturer on topics related to Asia real estate investing, finance and urban development at Harvard University, Georgetown University, Peking University and Tsinghua University.
Mr. Rothstein received his J.D. degree from New York University School of Law where he was the editor of the publication New York University Review of Law and Social Change. He also attended Columbia University where he received a masters degree from the Graduate School of Architecture.
Mar 26, 2013 CHINARoundtable China's real estate market outlook